[lbo-talk] Is this the end of Tony?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Jun 12 17:27:37 PDT 2007

> O.k., o.k.! You guys can put down "The Dick Van Dyke" show but it really
> was
> visually innovative, in its black and white small screen way. They paid a
> lot of attention to the sight-gags, and, unlike most shows at the time,
> the
> pacing of the editing, etc.

> Jerry

The DVD show was indeed innovative for its time, not only visually or through pacing, but also with its humor. It was a significant step up from many of the broader efforts in the 50s, and blended various styles of comedy. Much of this came from Carl Reiner, but also Norman Lear, Garry Marshall, Sam Denoff, Bill Persky, and Jerry Paris. Sharp one-liners, domestic humor, slapstick, parody, absurdist situations, etc. It still holds up, in my humble.

Dennis