[lbo-talk] Fwd: Antioch College Closing!

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Jun 14 09:36:21 PDT 2007

On Thu, June 14, 2007 3:15 am, Jim Straub wrote:

> The general opinion was, the fewer rich liberal kids in the state the
> better. there was a widespread perception that antiochers were rich idiot
> silver spooners.

The rich never sent their progeny to Antioch. My fellow students (1987-1991) were professional-class and working-class folks, many from small Midwestern towns. I can think of one and only one trust fund hippie (who was, incidentally, quite a colorful personality). The place was in a chronic funding crisis even back then, and I'm sure the problem only got worse. Nowadays, if you don't have a huge, corporate-bankrolled endowment, it's almost impossible to run a university in the US.

-- DRR (1991 Antioch alumnus)