[lbo-talk] Fwd: Antioch College Closing!

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 09:43:05 PDT 2007

I'm a native Columbusite and a second generation Buckeye, also a former prof at OSU, with a different (academic snob) perspective. I think rich liberal kids in Ohio are great, the more the better, and the more from out of state the better. Ohio only benefits by Oberlin, Kenyon, Wooster -- its great liberal arts schools. The better that OSU itself is, the more rich out of state liberals kids it attracts, be better it will be for all Ohioans. If rednecks can't appreciate that -- btw, Charles, this is what Nietzsche meant by ressentiment, a kind of hatred that makes one feel inferior and want to destroy what one thinks is a better in the object of your envy -- it's their loss.

Antioch was not was one the great liberal arts schools of Ohio. My experience there was that Antioch had low academic standards and was in the grip of mindlock political correctness of the most stultifying sort. It neither brought credit on the left nor constructively educated students in a way that progressives would prefer -- that is, in clear critical thinking. For example when I debated a famous academic racist there one time, the student paper pilloried me together with him as an apologists for racism because I answered his arguments with reasons instead of larding him with him with insults. Friends of mind who went there in the glory days agree; Antioch had pretty much gone down the tubes. That's what's unfortunate, not its closing. Hopefully when it reopens it will be be at a higher level.