[lbo-talk] A question regarding list member identities...

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jun 14 12:28:50 PDT 2007

On 14 Jun, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Blackmail wrote: ... ...

Many list members have quite curious names or addresses, some motivated by a need for privacy, but all of them it seems are chosen to reflect something about themselves, their thoughts, etc. I am starting this thread out of curiousity -- if you have an id that is non-obviously named, what is the story behind it?

What does "blackmail.is.my.life" mean? Sounds alarming, but it turns out to also be the name of a Japanese movie (thank you Google)? Is that the reference? What about others?

In case you care:

My own domain "platosbeard.org" is a reference to the term Plato's Beard, which I believe was first used by the mathematician and philosopher W.V.O.Quine in reference to the question of "What exists?" -- Platonism (especially in math) permitting all sorts of entities -- the beard -- that, as Quine held, would often dull the parsimonious aim of Occam's razor.

The reason I use this name is two-fold: on the one hand I am an anti- Platonist and am happy to highlight its excesses and pretensions. On the other hand, "reality" is much like a tangled and untamed web, and Occam's razor can help make sense of it, but cannot help explain it. Etc. Etc. "Conquest of Abundance" as the title of philosopher Feyerabend's last book goes.

--ravi