[lbo-talk] My summer vacation/Russian computer games

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 13:58:46 PDT 2007

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com:

I was interested recently to learn of the Russian interest in Sherlock Holmes and have seen high praise for the Russian TV series of the Holmes stories that was produced 1979-86. I would have to assume that there are English-subtitled versions of programs available, since they were reportedly well liked by both Queen Elizabeth and Margaret Thatcher, neither of whom I would suspect of being fluent in Russian. In fact, the actor who played Holmes, Vasily Borisovich Livanov, was awarded the Order of the British Empire.

Carl

---

Yeah, Russians are big fans of Holmes and the Soviet version of Sherlock (this game has reminded me of what an asshole Holmes is to Watson, I'm surprised the latter didn't use his Afghan combat training to slug him in the face) is thought of very highly. They are also huge fans of O. Henry for some reason.

This game however is I think American, maybe British.

I think the idea of Holmes investigating a Cthulhu Mythos story is just awesome, but then I am a fan of both Doyle and Lovecraft. The juxtapositon of Holmes' superrationality and the Lovecraftian madness works very well.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection. http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/norton/index.php