[lbo-talk] Pynchon Don't Sell Likwe He Used To

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Jun 15 09:19:07 PDT 2007

> When Amazon first started selling used books, I used to unload all
> the review copies I get of crappy business/management books for
> decent coin. But after a while, prices collapsed, and now it's not
> worth the trip to the post office (since you have to hand all
> packages 16 oz. and over to a human clerk - part of the war on
> terror, you know!). $7.00 is kind of high, actually.

Do you think that this means that they've levelled the inefficiencies of used books out of the market? That is, mostly everyone who wants a book can get it, and the scarcity of right-book-right-place-right-time that added to the price in the past is now gone?

About 10 years ago I bought a pretty obscure book, and noticed that it said "Volume One" ... I poked around and didn't find anything about a Volume Two. Last year I looked again, and there it was. And there were four copies available, one of them in mint condition for less than I'd paid 10 years ago for Volume One.

/jordan