[lbo-talk] Pynchon Don't Sell Likwe He Used To

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 15 10:34:54 PDT 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

>> When Amazon first started selling used books, I used to unload all
>> the review copies I get of crappy business/management books for
>> decent coin. But after a while, prices collapsed, and now it's not
>> worth the trip to the post office (since you have to hand all
>> packages 16 oz. and over to a human clerk - part of the war on
>> terror, you know!). $7.00 is kind of high, actually.
>
> Do you think that this means that they've levelled the
> inefficiencies of
> used books out of the market?

Yup, seems that way. It's great for book buyers, but it sucks for sellers (and authors, who lose sales and royalties that way!). I've gotten paperbacks for $0.01 plus shipping - and shipping is only about $3, so I don't get how or why people can do that.

Turns out, though, that that $7 was the price for a new copy of the Pynchon book (Brian straightened me out offlist). That's less than half the wholesale price. Wonder what's up with that?

Doug