[lbo-talk] Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jun 15 09:19:21 PDT 2007

WD:

We need to start a conversation about which issues are most important when it comes to advancing the long-term political goals I think most/all of us share. I'll go out on a limb and say those are 1) stop. the. war. and 2) amnesty/citizenship for all illegal immigrants now, as this would substantially empower those on the lowest rungs of the working class.

[WS:] That sound like the same old, same old trope "poor is beautiful." How about the "empower the middle class and remove the roadblock to entry to the middle class." That will have a far wider appeal. Not too many people identify themselves as the "wretched of the earth" or the "poor" (even though they are in economic dire straits), but everyone wants to be "middle class." As Doug once noted on this forum, only intellectuals love poverty and, I may add, hate the middle class.

How about: (1) universal and affordable health care, (2) guaranteed living wage jobs for everyone, (3) elimination of poverty and cultural dysfunctions it creates, (4) equal educational opportunity for everyone, (5) proportional political representation free of corruption and monied interests (public funding of election), (6) clean environment for everyone and rational use of natural resources, (7) humane treatment of animals, (8) safe an nurturing community for everyone, (9) freedom to enter the relationship of one's choice regardless of sexual orientation, and (10) foreign policy based on détente, peace, open borders, internationalism and respect for the universal human rights.

Wojtek