[lbo-talk] Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!)

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 10:31:55 PDT 2007

On 6/18/07, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> "Mr. WD" wrote:
> >
> > On 6/15/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm not interested in developing a Correct Line, but I am interested
> > in the question of which kinds of political compromises are acceptable
> > and which are not, and I think a dialogue about political priorities
> > can help address this.
>
> For priorities, compromises, and alliances there has to be some sort of
> agent who can 'sign off' on them. I reject the pseudo-Leninist parties
> of the 3d etc. internationals, but without at least a loosely organized
> coalition with a center that can more or less speak for the various
> elements of that coalition, there can be no priorities or compromises.
>
> Carrol

In addition "compromise" in any meaningful sense has to involve real concessions from the other side. In many cases when people talk about "compromise" they are talking about compromise with themselves -- diluting a position in hope that this will attract non-leftists. This is often accompanied by an insistence that any disagreement with the particular "compromise" is purism. But of course this form of "compromise" is neither a compromise nor a form of Machiavellian cleverness. Most of the time, it is a way to feel like a hard nosed realist, to fool yourself with the sensation of political intrigue--while weakening your position or at best accomplishing nothing. I would say that at minimum the burden of proof is always on the person supporting a particular compromise.