[lbo-talk] "Second liberation of Gaza."

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Fri Jun 15 12:03:59 PDT 2007

"Second liberation" was their quote - I agree that control of an overcrowded wasteland with no economy is hardly any kind of liberation at all. The picture can only get bleaker. I however have my doubts that the Fatah defeat/Hamas takeover of Gaza were planned or fully foreseen by the US/Israel.

I also can't see Palestinian life improving much in areas still under Fatah rule. And given Fatah's open collaboration with Israel, their reputation looks unlikely to get any better. I suppose that in the 'Arab street' growing popular cynicism towards any kind of liberation politics might be one outcome. The more religious tendencies however seem to gain most from such desperate situations.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Marvin Gandall ============================== Maybe, but by chasing Fatah out of Gaza, Hamas now assumes responsibility for governing the desperately impoverished territory, which is sure to be further sealed off from any meaningful trade and aid. At the same time, aid long withheld from the Hamas and unity governments, including customs duties sequestered by Israel, will now likely be released to the Fatah administration in the occupied West Bank - accompanied perhaps by other concessions such as a relaxation of checkpoints, a settlement freeze, the replacement of Israeli troops by a strengthened Fatah internal security force, and the resumption of negotiations with Abbas on a future Palestinian "state". If there is even modestly greater freedom of movement and improvement of living standards on the West Bank, Gazans under Hamas rule may draw an unfavourable contrast to their own situation.