[lbo-talk] "Second liberation of Gaza."

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Jun 15 13:34:16 PDT 2007

> I also can't see Palestinian life improving much in areas still under
> Fatah
> rule. And given Fatah's open collaboration with Israel, their reputation
> looks unlikely to get any better. I suppose that in the 'Arab street'
> growing popular cynicism towards any kind of liberation politics might be
> one outcome. The more religious tendencies however seem to gain most from
> such desperate situations.
=========================== It's Israel which pretty much controls events. It has the latitude to relax controls and to allow aid to come in from the outside without jeopardizing its suzerainty over the Palestinians. If the Palestinians are relieved of the long delays and daily humiliation at checkpoints and have access to jobs, I think they'd disengage out of exhaustion, if nothing else, and would tolerate Fatah corruption and subservience.

The question is whether the Israeli leadership and public feel the need to make any moves at all after the South Lebanon and Gaza withdrawals did not turn out as planned. But there may now be greater pressure on Israel to throw Abbas some bones with Hamas no longer part of the PA government. And the underlying imperative to grant the Palestinians some form of truncated statehood if only to head off the development of a movement for a non-denominational unitary state encompassing Israel and the occupied territories is always present.