[lbo-talk] A question regarding list member identities...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 16 15:59:42 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'm sure lots of people find sports fun, and I'm an asshole for not
> pointing that out earlier, but it's all lost on me. If it's the
> lingua franca of the working class - though more the male part than
> the female, I'm guessing - then the I've got a communication problem.

It's pure myth that liking sports is a necessary condition of socializing with those who like sports -- sports fans being a highly diffrentiated population in any case. But those who didn't bother to tune in to the Ali-Liston fight missed the greatest moment in the history of radio: When Ali forced the assembled reporters in his dressing room after the fight to chant in unison: You're the Greatest.

And it's hard today to realize just how tremendously important Joe Louis was 70 years ago. He kept up human courage.

But to repeat, it is utter nonsense that leftists "must" like or follow sports -- just as it is utter nonsense that leftists (or anyone else) must or needs to follow _any_ given aspect of culture, high or pop or whatever. No one _can_ follow everything, after all.

Carrol