[lbo-talk] Sports and politics (Was: A question regarding listmember identities...)

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 17 17:45:40 PDT 2007

Jerry Monaco writes:

>...I am not sure that it is correct to say that
> sports in our society is an "opiate." In some small respects sports
> does seem to "function" in the same way as it did in Ancient Greece,
> as a preparation for war. The Superbowl especially at times takes on
> aspects of what Alex Cockburn, once called "an electronic Nuremberg
> rally."
========================= This is over the top, even though you hedge your opinion by saying it is valid only "at times" and "in some small respects". I'm not caught up in it, but in what way does cheering for the Red Sox or the Bulls or the 49'ers even remotely resemble a Nazi rally?

Sports fans are broadly representative of the public, probably the best cross-section we have of the population. The fans I knew (and know) weren't particularly attracted to or alienated by things military; it wasn't a pressing concern of theirs one way or another, and, if forced to choose, would say they abhored war, especially when they were presented with unjust ones like Vietnam and Iraq. The ritual maudlin presentation of the flag and "salute to our fighting men and women" at sports events isn't evidence that the mass of spectators is seized by the martial spirit of the Spartans and Nazis.

In fact, wasn't it only a few months ago that Bush broke precedent and declined to throw out the ceremonial first ball at the Washington Nationals' home opener because his aides feared he would be roundly booed over Iraq? Some bloodthirsty warriors, those Nats fans.