[lbo-talk] High Hat (Was Re: Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!))

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 19:03:02 PDT 2007

I dunno what about this discussion is making smart people say stupid things. Miles, you know perfectly well that no one, neither Brian no mere, nor Wittgenstein, Winch, Geertz, Collingwood, Dray, Dilthey (I left him off my original list), nor Weber said anything about empathetic understanding involving some sort of effortless intuition. It's a theme of this entire tradition of writing about "thick" interpretation (Geertz's term) that it's really hard. (Empathy in general is really hard because it involves paying close analytical and sympathetic attention to others. As you and the other people who are blowing off Brian are showing -- I mean, that empathy is hard.) So why are you throwing up these straw men when you know better?