[lbo-talk] High Hat (Was other things)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Jun 17 20:53:29 PDT 2007

On 17 Jun, 2007, at 10:03 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> (Empathy in general is really hard because it involves
> paying close analytical and sympathetic attention to
> others. As you and the other people who are blowing
> off Brian are showing -- I mean, that empathy is
> hard.)

The dictionary says empathy means "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another". I think that is fairly natural in human beings, and would be hard to overcome (other than for sociopaths) -- the overcoming probably requires a lot of smartness and analytical attention ;-). Empathy, as defined above, seems to not just include, but be primarily about the case where one human being is able to understand without direct experience the condition of another. Whether this is possible through theorising or through defining traits of humanity, I am not sure.

--ravi