[lbo-talk] Diverse voices call on people to engage voice of BobAvakian

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Jun 18 20:44:28 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 18:56 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I don't know about the last 38 years, but in 1969 when I knew [Avakian] he was
> quite personable. However, a couple people from here who heard him speak
> during the period in which the RU was becoming the RCP summed up their
> impression with "Lenin, He Aint." The hero-worship around him had
> developed by then.

Lenin, he ain't, but then, who is?

I too met Avakian once and found him quite engaging -- not overwhelming but thoroughly likable and even charming. He had the politician's gift of making you feel that you were very important to him.

The only thing that troubles me is that Cornel West is supporting him. That makes me wonder whether he shouldn't be in Leavenworth.