[lbo-talk] Wall Street Noir

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 10:27:05 PDT 2007

I mentioned Akashic Books here yesterday and last night I got a copy of their latest, an anthology called Wall Street Noir. Here's the first question of an interview with the editor from the Akashic website and his bio from his own website. Most of the contributors to Wall Street Noir have related backgrounds:

Q&A with Wall Street Noir editor Peter Spiegelman

Q: Where did the idea for Wall Street Noir come from?

A: The idea for Wall Street Noir grew out of a view I've long held--based on nearly twenty years of working there--that Wall Street is actually quite a noir-ish place, a social crucible that is much more Jim Thompson than Warren Buffet. This runs contrary to many popular notions, I know, and to the public image--of a well-scrubbed, rational, even glamorous place--that the Street likes to project, but when you consider the big money, dysfunctional egos, cutthroat competition, class struggle, desperation, and sweaty paranoia that wash around there, it's less of a stretch.

http://www.akashicbooks.com/wallstreetnoir.htm

Peter Spiegelman is a veteran of over twenty years in the financial services and software industries, and has worked with leading banks, brokerages and central banks around the world. In the mid-1990's, Peter left his position as a Vice President at a major Wall Street firm to become a partner in a banking software company. The company's product soon became a leader in its marketplace, and in the late-1990's Peter and his partners sold their business to a larger firm. Peter retired from the software industry in 2001, to write

http://www.peterspiegelman.com/content.php?page=bio&b=1&h=1&r=1&f=2