[lbo-talk] Sports and politics (Was: A questionregardinglistmemberidentities...)

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Jun 19 11:46:54 PDT 2007

================= My impression is that CP papers like the Daily Worker(s), l'Unita and Humanite had separate sports sections at their high points of circulation, but I can't swear to it. The smaller English language publications may only have had a page, but I don't believe they buried their sports coverage in the general news or other sections. You've probably heard of the US Daily Worker's sports editor Lester Rodney who is widely acknowledged in even the mainstream press as having led the fight to break the colour line in baseball, and he probably had his counterparts on the sports beat on the other daily Communist party papers. It would be nice, wouldn't it. if we were nowadays having to wrestle with the issue you describe above?.