[lbo-talk] Capitalism and Religious Fundamentalism

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 09:07:49 PDT 2007

On 6/21/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Spirit of Capitalism. He posits that bible beating and
> money making were joined at birth.

You're probably right that I should head back to Weber, but if I recall correctly, Weber's focus is more on what we would now consider white bread, mainstream protestantism (e.g. Scottish Presbyterianism).

Perhaps I am just ignorant about the history of religious movements in the U.S. but I am under the impression that this new Christofascism a lot different from old-fashioned, puritanical, idle-hands-are-the-devil's-plaything protestantism in that it desires to seize and wield political power and preserve U.S. hegemony. Does Weber discuss the brand of religion that appears in "Jesus Camp," for example? And how does Weber explain the surge in Jihadism?

-WD