[lbo-talk] Capitalism and Religious Fundamentalism

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Jun 24 20:55:16 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 03:40 +0000, Carl Remick wrote:
> Obviously, social welfare programs would be much better designed
> and funded if vast numbers of voters did not entertain the insane notion
> that their imaginary friend God "will provide,"

A great deal taken for granted here -- love the "obviously". One problem is that there are many kinds of imaginary friends. Some people have an imaginary friend in Heaven, others have an imaginary friend on Wall Street or the executive suite, or among the Founding Fathers.

And then, of course, if all the "voters" stopped believing in God and the invisible hand, and started demanding "social welfare programs" -- well, then, might not Wall Street fight back? Who's to say that the "voters" would prevail in that case? I rather think it would take more than voting.