[lbo-talk] Fun with science from the Discovery folks (love it)

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 25 23:23:58 PDT 2007

On 6/25/07, Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> As I recall, our Andie thumped me pretty hard as being
> a techno Ostrich, sticking my head in the sand and
> refusing to acknowledge the dawning age of AI. In
> other words, I went from being a guy soaking in this
> technology at a pretty wiggy level at times (certainly
> at a wiggier level than a Law Prof.) to a, well,
> Luddite.

Yeah, a high-profile AI teacher (Peter Norvig) offered these quotes to illustrate the history AI's hype:

"It is not my aim to surprise or shock you -- but the simplest way

I can summarize is to say that there are now in the world machines

that think."

-- Herbert Simon, 1957

"Machines will be capable, within twenty years, of doing any work

that a man can do."

-- Herbert Simon, 1965

"Within a generation the problem of creating 'artificial

intelligence' will be substantially solved."

-- Marvin Minsky, 1967

Not to say AI's a failure -- merely its hype usually is. AI's much like philosophy in this way. Bertrand Russell mentioned something I've heard floating around the AI world too:

"If you ask a mathematician, a mineralogist, a historian, or any

other man of learning, what definite body of truths has been

ascertained by his science, his answer will last as long as you

are willing to listen. But if you put the same question to a

philosopher, he will, if he is candid, have to confess that his

study has not achieved positive results such as have been achieved

by other sciences. It is true that this is partly accounted for by

the fact that, as soon as definite knowledge concerning any

subject becomes possible, this subject ceases to be called

philosophy, and becomes a separate science. [...]

"This is, however, only a part of the truth concerning the

uncertainty of philosophy. There are many questions -- and among

them those that are of the profoundest interest to our spiritual

life -- which, so far as we can see, must remain insoluble to the

human intellect unless its powers become of quite a different

order from what they are now. [...] Yet, however slight may be the

hope of discovering an answer, it is part of the business of

philosophy to continue the consideration of such questions, to

make us aware of their importance, to examine all the approaches

to them, and to keep alive that speculative interest in the

universe which is apt to be killed by confining ourselves to

definitely ascertainable knowledge."

So we don't yet have the Frankenstein monsters with Oedipal complexes, but we did get a lot of useful techniques and tools. For instance, classic AI found nice results in search, pattern recognition, language parsing, etc. And tools like the Lisp tradition of programming languages are extremely powerful and influential; I use Common Lisp almost every day for hours -- for "just" a webapp -- because I simply don't think there's a better language in some overall sense. It's very general and customizable.

Tayssir