[lbo-talk] John Roberts doesn't like Bong Hits 4 Jesus

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 12:42:31 PDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Mr. WD <mister.wd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/26/07, J. Tyler <unspeakable.one at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What the opinion represents to me is the beginning of erosion of the
> First
> > Amendment, similar to that of the Fourth, for no other reason than that
> it
> > is incompatible with the war on drugs. (The majority opinion spent a
> good
> > deal of time telling us how bad Congress thinks drugs are, which is
> somehow
> > supposed to serve to trump constitutional protections that make that
> > consideration irrelevant. 80-year-old Stevens, in dissent, suggested
> that
> > public opinion on drug use just might change in time and that the
> majority
> > opinion represented an attempt to silence the opposing view on the
> topic.)
>

> Yeah, Breyer's opinion pretty much hit the nail on the head as to
> where this is heading:

Here's a further distinction for Bryer's dissent:

What if a group of students, in protest against the attack on freedom of speech by the Sup. Ct. or in support of an expelled student, hold up a sign saying "'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' is freedom of speech".....

"One concern is that, while the holding is theoretically limited to