[lbo-talk] John Roberts doesn't like Bong Hits 4 Jesus

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 16:58:51 PDT 2007

Justice Thomas writes:

"As originally understood, , the
> Constitution does not
> afford students a right to free speech in public
> schools."

There weren't any public schools to speak of until the 1840s or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_education_in_the_United_States

Of course, as originally understood, even by the framers of the 14th Amendment, the Constitution doesn't (plainly) prohibit school segregation either. See Alexander M. Bickel, The Original Understanding and the Segregation Decision, 69 Harv. L. Rev. 1, 16-17 (1955) (quoting framers stating that the "civil rights" protected by the Civil Rights Acts of 1866, which the was the legislative embodiment of the 14th Amendment, "by no means" mean that "in all things civil, social, and political, all citizens shall without distinction of race or color be equal." (Rep. Wilson). Civil rights meant the right to contract, hold property, and have recourse to law.

Arguments from inactivity or silence are tricky, but it is telling that In 1866-67, Congress did not desegregate the District of Columbia public schools, which were clearly under its jurisdiction; these had to be desegregated by court order in 1954 in the companion case to the Brown v. Bd of Ed. decision, nor did Congress have the Reconstruction governments desegregate the Southern public schools, although Congress did pursue color-conscious affirmative policies through the Freedman's Bureau. This strongly suggests, when coupled with the express denial in the legislative history of a broad interpretation of "civil rights" that Brown was not an originalist decision.