[lbo-talk] Iran's Youth Movements

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:58:27 PDT 2007

Here here, but this points to a bigger problem: the us left has no divisions. Beyond that, they don't -want- any. To get any involves doing various unsavory things like talking to or allying with various folks far removed from our own ideological values. Or building compromised institutions nontheless able to maintain bank accounts and membership rolls in the six figures for continuous years. Moving individuals, to say nothing of the masses, happens by bits and increments rather than transformative leaps, and so most leftists today prefer the art of critique and rhetoric, which involves no responsibilities and little effort. The left doesn't want a base and if it accidentally got one the majority on this list would be out to undercut it, and they no doubt could find many valid points of criticism, but at the end of the day, such purism can't even play a support role to base-building.