[lbo-talk] Nietzsche (was: Iran's Youth Movement)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 26 14:41:43 PDT 2007

> No, actually, the goosesteppers liked him.
They had the superman thing in common.

But doesn't fascism want conformity which is what Nietzsche is very much against? He also seems to have little regard for the concept of a German Reich.

As for the ubermensch concept: the Nazi version doesn't seem to jibe with what I am getting from reading the texts (I am on "Geneology of Morality" now -- the Cambridge edition). I have a long way to go with understanding Nietzsche and his writings, but the popular image of a promoter of tyranny and subjugation seems off the mark -- a straw Nietzsche set up by parading some quotes around out instead of deeply grappling with what he actually wrote.

Fascists and other party-line types seem to decree that once a decision is made a person must go along with it (even if she disagrees with it) for the good of the (fill-in-the-blank with your favorite authoritarian concept).

Brian