[lbo-talk] a critique of commodification

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 27 12:56:50 PDT 2007

<http://gothamist.com/2007/06/26/the_splasher_sp.php>

[...]

"The Point is to Produce Ourselves, Rather Than Things That Enslave Us": "In New York City, during the summer of 2006, a group of co- conspirators and provocateurs began a program that confronted a cultural realm which revealed a content of commodity recuperation behind the facade of pseudo opposition. By challenging what the experts term 'street art', our actions have, in turn, uncovered an alliance between the coercive force of the state and the "creative class" of the artist. We began these series of actions as a critique of rationality. The present and banal methods of confronting the prevailing social order through street art have become rotten and rigidified into methods of commodification. We identified certain works that we felt emphasized the basis of our criticism and subsequently destroyed them with splashes of paint. Alongside the remnants we left wheat pasted texts that offered no more than a vulgar and audacious insult that was never meant to be anything close to a thorough critique. To further exemplify the disrespect we felt for the work and its creator, we arrogantly mixed the wheat paste with shards of glass... we disturbed their cozy little scene (they) denounced us for our "negativity" and "elitism"... it matters little if our opponents mock us or insult us... the essential thing is that they talk of us and preoccupy themselves with us... To be honest, our work was never forseen to receive as much recognition as it did... we can assure everyone that not only are we in larger numbers than you think, but we are comprised of both men and women."

[...]