[lbo-talk] Iran's Youth Movements

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 12:56:30 PDT 2007

I think it was in the past year that I posed what I thought was a major development -- namely, India's banning of child labor. That news received a weird response here -- I vaguely remember a couple of folks -- from India, I think? -- who didn't seem to want to poo-poo the idea but who nonetheless grumbled that banning child labor in India was unrealistic and economically flip. Obviously it was a big watershed moment in US labor/human rights history when child labor was banned here. Don't recall India's ban getting much traction in even the Western left press.

And there was the thing about Christian groups in India forcing EMI to retract all copies of a new Slayer album from the country's shelves. That surprised me because I usually think of Christian lobbyists as having an unusual degree of power in the US and a few other countries, but not India.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"But in any case, I'd love to hear more about what's going on in India. Please post your own thoughts and forward anything you find interesting. It's a rather important country."