[lbo-talk] John Roberts doesn't like Bong Hits 4 Jesus

J. Tyler unspeakable.one at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 19:12:53 PDT 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> So history is bunk? Earlier you said "I think that a community
> should have some kind of justice system." So you gonna start from
> scratch?

It's kind of an irrelevant question. The precondition to justice is a fair and equitable society. And a fair and equitable society would have nothing that looks like the current criminal justice system. I don't profess to know how to make a fair and equitable society, so I don't know if you need to start from scratch on a criminal justice system, but one thing I do know is that the end product would have little in common with what we've got now.

> Murder is an everyday problem. Like you were asked earlier, what if
> the community wants to draw and quarter a killer? It helps to draw
> on past experience.

Murder is not an everyday problem. It's primarily a symptom of a sick and dysfunctional society. (Emphasis on the "primarily" so you don't ask me if I believe in a utopian society in which all murders can be eliminated.) And, again, the citizens of a fair and equitable society would want to draw and quarter a killer. Indeed, we already see this in those societies that, while not fair and equitable, are at least more fair and equitable than ours.

> No one wants to go to court. But I know people who do good work in
> the court system every day.

The only people I would classify as such are those throwing wrenches into it. I know many of those folk, and I agree, they are doing good work. As for the rest, not at all. Even the most liberal judge will do great injustice on balance before he steps down.