[lbo-talk] Nietzsche Bibliography (Was Re: Iran Youth Movements)

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Jun 28 08:50:00 PDT 2007

> Bataille is one of French "New Nietzsche" people. They
> were left wing post-structuralists influenced by
> Heidegger. Some of their stuff was usefully
> anthologized by David B. Allison:

I find this to be an exceptionally odd way of classifying Bataille given that his main writings are in the 30's and 40's. I've also never gotten the sense that Bataille gave much thought to Heidegger at all (I might be wrong about this). Instead, the main influences seemed to be Kojeve's Hegel (which is a very particular Hegel that has a strong influence on French philosophy), Nietzsche, de Sade, Marx, and anthropology (with the Marx playing a lesser role). I thoink that Bataille might have influenced the left wing post-structuralists that you discuss, but he was writing before there was even something called structuralism....

robert wood