[lbo-talk] Nietzsche Bibliography (Was Re: Iran Youth Movements)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 23:46:17 PDT 2007

Rosenberg!! Show me that anyone other than highly specialized scholars of Nazism have ever read Rosenberg. Certainly no one worth taking seriously about Nietzsche would cite him. There is one great Nietzsche commentator who was a Nazi whose work is really worthwhile: Heidegger.

http://www.amazon.com/Nietzsche-Volumes-One-Two-Vols/dp/0060638419/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/103-8716442-5933450?ie=UTF8&qid=1183011375&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Nietzsche-Vols-Knowledge-Metaphysics-Nihilism/dp/0060637943/ref=pd_sim_b_4/103-8716442-5933450?ie=UTF8&qid=1183011375&sr=8-1

But he was exceedingly idiosyncratic, even as a Nazi. However, Nazi though he was, his commentary is essential if not necessarily wholly reliable.

Bataille is one of French "New Nietzsche" people. They were left wing post-structuralists influenced by Heidegger. Some of their stuff was usefully anthologized by David B. Allison:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Nietzsche-Contemporary-Styles-Interpretation/dp/0262510340/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-8716442-5933450?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183011678&sr=8-1

Bataille's major work on Nietzsche is:

http://www.amazon.com/Nietzsche-Continuum-Impacts-Georges-Bataille/dp/0826477089/ref=sr_1_1/103-8716442-5933450?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183011834&sr=1-1

Lots of people like this sort of thing. I have more patience for it than most people with my background (heavy training in analytical philosophy of science), but I don't find it worth the effort. myself, and I certainly don't think it's a good guide to Nietzsche.

My favorite modern commentary on Nietzsche that I also think is reasonably accessible and accurate is Alexander Nehemas, Nietzsche: Life as Literature,

http://www.amazon.com/Nietzsche-Life-Literature-Alexander-Nehamas/dp/0674624262/ref=cm_lmf_tit_13_rdssss0/103-8716442-5933450

I'm not up with the latest literature, though. The Cambridge Companions are generally pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Companion-Nietzsche-Companions-Philosophy/dp/0521367670/ref=cm_lmf_tit_12_rdssss0/103-8716442-5933450

Brian Leiter is a close friend who's a leading Nietzsche scholar. His book Nietzsche on Morality is very accurate and readable, although in my view a bit deaf to nuance and to what makers Nietzsche exciting.

http://www.amazon.com/Routledge-Philosophy-Guidebook-Nietzsche-Guidebooks/dp/0415152852/ref=ed_oe_p/103-8716442-5933450?ie=UTF8&qid=1183012647&sr=1-1

Leiter is sparkling compared to Richard Schacht, whose fat book on Nietzsche is a duty rather than a pleasure, but very thorough and accurate; more useful for the general reader is his collection of other people's essays on the Genealogy of Morals:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/103-8716442-5933450?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=schacht+nietzsche

Which (the original text) is still a must-read,

Although not new, Walter Kaufmann's Nietzsche has legs and is very readable, also it has a lot of interesting biographical and historical material, and it thoroughly debunks the Nietzsche-Was-a-Nazi lie:

http://www.amazon.com/Nietzsche-Philosopher-Psychologist-Walter-Kaufmann/dp/0691019835/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1_rdssss0/103-8716442-5933450