[lbo-talk] Sicko

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:12:07 PDT 2007

On 6/28/07, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

> At least with Sicko, Moore is covering the middle class and not slumming
> around trying to pretend he is a working person.

I am not sure what this means.

I always assumed that Moore was slumming when he was pretending to be a counter-culture newspaper editor or a writer or a television producer or a movie director. In other words he was a guy with a working class inferiority complex striving to be a middle class intellectual pretending to be working class. It is a strategy you see over and over again with British playwrites and novelists. It is a strategy most common in the U.S. in an ethnic or a racial context. A first generation Italian-American or Eastern European Jew, barely rid of his/her immigrant accent and a bunch of peasant superstition pretends be a "real" middle class American "intellectual" and then pretends to be "just" a first generation Italian-American or Eastern European Jew. Crossing class and ethnic divides always bring about such identity crises. Since the mid-80s, if you will notice, it's a strategy used by many of us born in declining industrial towns, raised in lower middle class neighborhoods where everybody was getting laid-off from General Motors (Flint) or General Electric (Schenectady). In such neighborhoods reading books was a little odd and a bit "uppity", so such people grow up a bit alienated from their own working class roots, but not willing to reject them. It is the "class" context that is unfamiliar to most United Statsians, where as it is very common among most Britishers, and as I said a strategy many of us from such backgrounds use. Lower middle class or working class, the first to go to college from our families, intellectually inclined among a deteriorating working class culture, and also, wishing to be an "intellectual" while unwilling to reject your past and thus "pretending" to be working class or lower middle class, like everyone else in the family.

And what is your point? Who are you pretending to be when you write like this?

Jerry