[lbo-talk] Sicko

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 28 14:51:48 PDT 2007

> But he doesn't hit for the fences, he doesn't provoke thoughts and
arguments about what the movies are about, he doesn't even make you nostalgic for the time when you used to love waiting for the movies and talking about movies. All you can say is that Lane is worth reading for the chuckles.

He along with A.O. Scott was a book reviewer turned film critic. And it shows.

A good site for film criticism is www.davekehr.com Kehr is a longtime critic who does the dvd column for the NY Times. If rumour is correct, he was passed over due to age when Janet Maslin retired.

> So my proposal (which won't be accepted because there cannot be
agreement on anything lbo-talk) is that we started a campaign to get Brian hired by "The New Yorker"

Charles will love Nietzsche before that happens. The fact is that film criticism will continue to decline since so few films are available to be seen. With the demise of repetory houses and 16 mm campus screenings, home video is the only outlet left, and at the moment only 3.64% of film titles are available this way (info from Dave Kehr). How can a critic have insight into a medium she has has limited to no access to?

Brian