[lbo-talk] The Nation Does Venezuela

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Jun 28 22:28:31 PDT 2007

On Thu, June 28, 2007 7:02 am, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> See? They seek to hide Washington's agenda behind the veil of
> "multilateral" institutions. Or liberal media like The Nation.

"The Nation" as liberal? Ha, ha, ha! Best joke I've heard all week. Um, it's a publication with a wide variety of opinions -- some credible, others cringe-worthy.

Villalobos is obviously a jackass, of course. Venezuela didn't close down the TV station. The government simply didn't renew its license -- perfectly legal. The station can broadcast all it wants on cable, but the airwaves are nationally regulated. How long would any comparable station in the US survive if it called for the overthrow of the US government, and then actively supported a coup with lies and falsehoods? About twelve milliseconds. Still, there's one interesting clue to Villalobos' degeneration:

> Chávez, by
> contrast, sells oil to the Americans; on two occasions he surrendered to
> his enemies with no fight; and he currently sleeps with an enemy army.

This is pure patriarchal dogma, a crude reduction of social contradictions to the whims of Big Daddy Revolution. Villalobos is still a prisoner of the caudillo ideology he once claimed to combat.

-- DRR