[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 29 10:53:01 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Basically N.'s fans
> > are saying that N. discovers and deals with
> > important issues that are
> > "beyond" class analysis.
>
> Is that what I said? No, I said that Nietzsche has a
> form of class analysis that integrates psychology into
> the story in a way that historical materialists would
> learn from.

I'll come back to this sometime in the next year (I hope), but let state without much defense or explanation now a tentative response: A class analysis which incorporates psychology can only lead to identity politics in their most useless form; it transforms class from a social relation to a mechanical and static conditon which shapes individual psychologies. This won't do -- but I think it is a place to start from.

Carrol