[lbo-talk] Marxism and religion

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 04:57:18 PST 2007

Well, I think you cannot see the forest for one tree. And the tree you see is in another part of the forest -- not the continental Europe in which Marx wrote the passage. You are not reading the passage, you are reading into the passage a supposed English cultural norm. You are not trying to grasp the point of the passage in Marx's own then cultural and intellectual milieu, the Young Hegel critique of religion. And you keep repeating the same point without responding to discussion -- since I do not want to do that, I'll quit this discussion here.

I just say for others, in case my point hasn't been clear enough, that Marx isn't an Enlightenment-style militant atheist in the sense that he thinks it worthwhile to engage in rationalistic debunkings of religion, or even a Nietzsche-style atheist who seeks to undermine the appeal to religion for his audience (different than Nietzsche's, of course, but genealogical critique. However, he is both personally and politically atheistic. While he views religion (European Christianity) as explicable as a response to alienating conditions, he thinks its effects are conservative and opposed to the aims of changing those conditions. That is why the critique of religion was central to the Young Hegelian project.

Marx gave up on that project after a few years in part because as he saw it an explanatory critique of religion was not going to do much to promote those aims. But Marx was never willing to make nice with religion, even if he was willing to tolerate it in the Internationale for similar reasons that he was willing to tolerate what he saw as childish talk about justice and fairness that he personally thought was empty and even harmful in the long wrong.Enough said. I'll leave jr to his opium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars#From_the_Napier_Affair_through_the_First_Opium_War_.281834.E2.80.931843.29