[lbo-talk] Marxism and religion

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 05:13:36 PST 2007

Well, that's pretty thin. OK, the passage shows that he later held a view consistent with the idea of OJQ, although he doesn't mention Judaism, that Christianity, especially protestantism and deism, is most fitting for a market society, and one may infer my indirection that Marx thought that this religion was relatively more progressive because it was the most fitting for the kind of society that he thought was most progressive, although Marx doesn't say this here. However even if the inference is allowed, that doesn't give us a relative ranking of Christianity versus Islam (which was the question at issue). I don't see any basis for thinking that "the popular religions" include Islam, and one can only guess about Catholicism on the basis of the implied contrast with Protestantism. But since Marx is discussing fetishism in the section, maybe he means animism, who knows?

The reiteration of the Young Hegelian point that religion will vanish only when it is no longer produced by social circumstances is one that recurs often in Marx's writings, of course, and his consistent adherence to that view explains in part why he does not engage in anti-religious polemics. What would be the point?