[lbo-talk] Obama's ancestors had slaves

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 07:34:50 PST 2007

Wojtek points us towards:

A new twist to an intriguing family history

Census records, genealogical research show forebears of Obama's mother had slaves By David Nitkin and Harry Merritt

Sun Reporters

Originally published March 2, 2007 WASHINGTON // Many people know that Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's father was from Kenya and his mother from Kansas.

But an intriguing sliver of his family history has received almost no attention until now: It appears that forebears of his white mother owned slaves, according to genealogical research and census records.

[...]

full

<http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/politics/bal-te.obama02mar02,0,3453027.story?coll=bal-home-headlines>

Uh huh.

And so did some of my ancestors - traced through my Great Grandfather who hailed from what we now call the Eurozone and whose family, at some point, owned a small number of slaves in Virginia.

This is not surprising to people who understand that so-called 'miscegenation' was a big part of the chattel slavery era and beyond hence all the prohibitions against it) and who get the implication: a good percentage of African Americans have slave owners in their family tree.

.d.

Everywhere I am surrounded by orphans, bestial ingrates, mercenaries, cattle prodded ruffians and charlatans!

The Abominable Dr. Phibes

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/