[lbo-talk] the latest in the long, sad decline of the Village Voice

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Mar 3 08:08:02 PST 2007

Inevitable, I'm afraid. Does NYC even *have* a viable weekly anymore, much less an "alt" one? As much as I detested the ownership of NY Press (for whom I wrote in their early days), there was a time when their roster was much better than the Voice's. Now the Press has gone completely down the tubes, along with the Voice.

One of the best things about the Voice in its peak period was how its writers were always at war with each other, and that this was played out in its pages. Some of the best battles were over Israel and the Palestinians, with Cockburn taking on Paul Berman, Jack Newfield, and Sol Stern with little to no back-up, though Hentoff came around during Israel's invasion of Lebanon in '82.

Dennis