[lbo-talk] barbaric (was Marxism and religion)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 3 17:19:14 PST 2007

joanna wrote:

> I was talking about shopping. SHOPPING.
>
> Which has been turned into the guiding metaphor for everything nowadays....
>
> I'm not talking about Gods, angels, spirits, man, animals, and rocks.
>
> I'm talking about shopping versus living.

I started twice to respond to this, and dropped both. I guess I simply don't understand your emphasis on shopping. Shopping would go on in any society in which production was not all home production -- i.e., in any industrialized social order. Even if the variety were limited by decree and all products were free. People would still have to have a stream of products into their living quarters, and that would require their going to warehouses or the equivalent and shopping for the needed items.

Shopping and over-production are unrelated matters.

And Ian and I were objecting to the arbitrary setting up of a hierarchy of human activities -- his "hierarchy thingys" and my "Platonism."

Shopping is just as much living as any other activity.

Carrol