[lbo-talk] Vista: more bad press

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 09:54:52 PST 2007

Chuck:

I've thought about switching totally to Ubuntu, but I have the following serious reservations:

1) Photoshop 2) Dreamweaver 3) Concerns that old files in different formats will be unreadable by Linux programs. 4) Gaming support 5) Gimp is not Photoshop. I'm sorry, please don't show me a Kia and tell me that it is a Porsche 6) Desktop publishing and pre-press. Can I do a magazine on Ubuntu and get it to the printer okay?

To answer each of these in order:

1.) Photoshop

Adobe has yet to produce a version of this app for Linux. However, many users (and corporations as large as Disney) have successfully been able to use Photoshop on Linux by utilizing WINE (see links below).

2.) Dreamweaver

As with Photoshop, Dreamweaver can also be run on your Linux platform via WINE

3.) Old files may be unreadable

I suggest installing a copy of Open Office on the Windows boxes currently hosting the files you're concerned about. If OO can open them on Windows, it will also be able to handle them on Linux (there is a Linux native build for OO).

4.) Gaming support

There are Linux native games but the selection is quite small when compared to Windows. As with other apps requiring the Windows API to function, I recommend WINE.

5.) Gimp is not Photoshop...

See number 1

6.) Desktop publishing

If you have a favorite Windows app, you may want to give it a whirl under WINE. If you're willing to try an open source app, I suggest SCIRBUS.

LINKS -----

WINE

<http://www.winehq.com/>

SCRIBUS

<http://www.scribus.net/>

HOW-TO: Adobe Photoshop CS2 on Ubuntu - 8 steps

<http://blog.publicidadpixelada.com/how-to-adobe-photoshop-cs2-on-ubuntu-10-steps/>

Open Office

<http://www.openoffice.org/>

WINE and Gaming