[lbo-talk] Vista: more bad press

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Mar 4 14:11:58 PST 2007

Dwayne wrote:

> 4.) Gaming support
>
> There are Linux native games but the selection is
> quite small when compared to Windows. As with other
> apps requiring the Windows API to function, I
> recommend WINE.

Just as a side note, PCs are increasing being sidelined by the consoles as game platforms. Though I have fond memories of the PC world, e.g. the original Half Life, the latest consoles are unbeatable in terms of affordability, ease of use, and sheer whacked-out fun. (The graphics nowadays are as good as PCs, too.) The only real advantage of PC gaming was (1) mouse and keyboard controls, which make first-person shooters easier to handle, and (2) downloadaable mods. But nowadays you can plug a keyboard and mouse into your PS3 or 360, no problem, and download mods galore. I'm especially intrigued by the Wii, because it's just a cheap system -- it seems like artists in the global semi-periphery could do some fantastic things with that.

-- DRR