[lbo-talk] progress

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Mon Mar 5 18:41:55 PST 2007

I haven't looked at this for a while (and can't reread it now) so please excuse me if I get it wrong from memory.

I believe the Heritage Foundation study, with their exquisite sense of class, tracks the recruits by zip code and use *just* that to classify them economically. Hard to believe...but remember the source.

The military survey (outsiders don't get to see data) relies on self-surveys by 18 year olds, without trained interviewers, about the income of their parents...which they are expected to report accurately to the same authorities who are in the middle of deciding whether the recruit should be placed in a crummy low status assignment or be among those deserving a more promising opportunity. [A smaller point: one imagines that the military study uses the Census Bureau's CPS as a base comparator for the population at large. At one time this was a legitimate standard, but in the economy of today we know it significantly understates inequality (leaves out realized capital gains, etc) and hence would make the recruits look more like the norm. Using even just the Fed's SCF as a baseline could reverse the conclusion. If one uses the SCF data to take a yet more complete definition of income (per, say, Wolff & Zacharias at Levy.org) or if one uses wealth data then difference will be quite large.]

In the absence of the chance for a serious and verifiable survey, people might do better to turn to micro data. FWIW, my working hypothesis wouldn't be so much that almost all the recruits come from abject "poverty" (although a good dose of that too) but a somewhat larger category of "very seriously stunted future prospects, even declining from that of their working class parents". For the working class youth I speak to, its that prospect of *relative* social decline and threat of future disappointing failure in the eyes of the "community" and family that really scares the more motivated ones towards the military.

Paul