[lbo-talk] barbaric

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Mar 5 21:49:46 PST 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>The requirement for domination addresses the question
>What Do Bosses Do?, why there is management of
>traditional wage labor, rather than mainly piecework
>or payment for the completed job, at all, why that
>wage labor supervised by managers is overwhelming the
>dominant form of extraction of surplus value under
>capitalism.

Based on my work experience, the reasons why management is "necessary" is so that the workers will never discover that they can organize themselves to do the same work in the complete absence of "management."

That is, management is politically necessary, not economically necessary.

Far from helping to promote productivity or creativity, the work of management is to throttle both as much as possible. Throttling creativity is always the rule. As for productivity -- while they are always interested in making workers work harder; they are seldom interested in making them more efficient, at least in my neck of the woods: hi tech.

Joanna