[lbo-talk] barbaric

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 6 05:13:21 PST 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 12:49 AM, joanna wrote:

> Based on my work experience, the reasons why management is "necessary"
> is so that the workers will never discover that they can organize
> themselves to do the same work in the complete absence of
> "management."
>
> That is, management is politically necessary, not economically
> necessary.

I suspect, though we could never know in advance, that under true worker management, there'd be more preference for leisure than there is under capitalist discipline. Counter-examples of the allegedly greater productivity of worker-run enterprises ignore the fact that they're still operating within capitalist markets and with consciousnesses formed by capitalism. Take that away and you could have the realization of Barbara Ehrenreich's slogan - workers of the world, relax.

Doug