[lbo-talk] US consumption (was barbaric?)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 6 08:40:50 PST 2007

James Heartfield wrote:

> Andie says that his dad could afford to send three children to college. I am
> glad to hear that, but US college enrollments have been climbing again,
> after a big dip in the mid 80s, so that now they stand at 27.8 million as
> opposed to 20 million in 1967.

James provides a nice lesson in how to lie with statistics: ignore the denominator. The U. S. population in 1967 was 194 million; currently the U. S. population is 301 million. Doing some trivial math, we discover that a /smaller/ proportion of the population is enrolled in college today than in 1967 (9.2% today; 10.3% in 1967). This is clearly the best of all possible worlds!

Miles