[lbo-talk] barbaric

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Mar 6 10:19:20 PST 2007

> I get about 2/3's in wages of what I cost.

I just happen to have an example handy for someone in California.

Gross wages: $28,000/yr

$ 1,736.00 FICA: 6.2%

$ 406.00 Medicare: 1.45%

$ 224.00 FUTA: 0.8%

$ 238.00 State UI: 3.4% on first $7k

$ 7.00 Employment Training Tax: 0.1% on first $7k

$ 1,812.00 Simple HMO plan @ $151/mo [pretty cheap!]

$ 2,422.00 Workers Comp @ 8.65% [varies depending on what you do,

but I've never seen one less than 7% and 14% isn't uncommon]

That's a total of $6,845 or about 25% and that's without any kind of pension or more than just an HMO health plan -- no long-term disability, no life insurance, no vacation, no overhead, etc.

For reference, this clears about $900/biweekly for the employee.

/jordan