[lbo-talk] US immiseration

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:16:42 PST 2007

>From: "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk>
>
>Unhappily, I have to inform you that your difficulties are not reproduced
>over here, where most people are visibly better off than they were twenty
>years ago, unemployment is low, wages are if not high, certainly not
>falling, and consumer goods generally falling in price (with the exception
>of housing, in which I am very interested).

[Today's UK is emblematic of the good life, no question about it. Consider that ornament of Western Civilization, the Chav:]

Chav or Charv/Charver is a mainly derogatory slang term in the United Kingdom for a subcultural stereotype fixated on fashions such as gold jewellery and 'designer' clothing. They are generally considered to have no respect for society, as well as being considered ignorant or unintelligent. The term appeared in mainstream dictionaries in 2005. The defining features of the stereotype include clothing in the Burberry pattern (notably a now-discontinued baseball cap) and from a variety of other casual and sportswear brands. Tracksuits, hoodies, sweatpants and baseball caps are particularly associated with this stereotype. Response to the term has ranged from amusement to criticism that it is a new manifestation of classism. The term has also been associated with delinquency, the "ASBO Generation", and "yob culture". ...

Elements/symptoms of the stereotypical chav are someone who:

* Wears particular clothing, such as:

-- Brand-name athletic clothing and shoes. Stereotypically, this might include but is not limited to white trainers and tracksuits.

-- Trainers such as Nike Shox, Nike Air Max and Reebok Classics are becoming common among chavs.

-- Designer clothing and accessories (usually counterfeit), in particular the distinctive tartan of Burberry.

-- Fake gold jewelery—in particular conspicuous earrings and trinkets on chains for women, and gold sovereign rings and large gold (or fake gold) chains for men.

-- Sports caps or Burberry caps and hoodies (for males). Often both are worn at once.

-- Sports or jogging trousers, especially white. [3] These may be worn tucked into sport socks, but more commonly they are worn with one trouser leg pulled slightly above the ankle. These trousers are also referred to as "tracky Bs," "trackies" or "tracky bottoms".

* If female, often wears thickly applied make-up, large hoop or dangle earrings, makes heavy use of fake tan, and has a hairstyle in which the hair is pulled back into a tight ponytail (called a "Croydon facelift" or "council-house facelift").

* Owns a "tacky" or "cheap" modified car, usually with a basic original specification, but decorated in a gaudy style. The Vauxhall Nova is one of the many small hatchbacks associated with this group.

* Aspires to the latest mobile phone and other mobile gadgetry. The stereotype may not be above buying fenced phones or obtaining the phones themselves via mugging or theft.

* Lives on council estates and other low-income neighbourhoods, often supported by the "dole" (unemployment benefit / Income Support).

* Often takes part in underage drinking, sex, (and, consequently, is associated with teenage pregnancy), smoking and sometimes drug abuse.

* Congregates and loiters in areas such as bus stops, shopping centres, under bridges, corner-shops and fast food restaurants.

* Is associated with crass, loud, in-your-face drunken behaviour and minor criminal activities. This includes unprovoked attacks on members of the public (see happy slapping), vandalism, verbal abuse, and drug abuse (see ASBO). Often these crimes are committed purely for the fun of it and not material gain.

* Classically (particularly in the schoolyard culture) have a vehement dislike of 'goths' and 'emos', as well as other "alternative" subcultures.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ With tax season right around the corner, make sure to follow these few simple tips. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline