[lbo-talk] US immiseration

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 6 11:49:05 PST 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 1:48 PM, James Heartfield wrote:

> Doug, you amaze me. I had no idea that consumption rates in the US
> were
> declining.

Who said anything about consumption? I wrote about incomes. It's a fact that the real hourly wage is down since 1973, and average household incomes are barely up. To accomplish that, more people have to work longer hours. In 1973, 57% of the adult population worked for pay; now, it's 63%. Total hours worked in the U.S. private sector have risen 70% since 1973; the pop is up only 43%. So the rise in aggregate consumption has come with a huge increase in the work effort - despite an 82% increase in productivity since 1973.

Also, the upper brackets, who've been doing very well, do most of the consuming. The poorest quintile is responsible for just 9% of total consumption, and the next, 13%; the top quintile, though, has a 38% share, and the next, 24%. So you can have a rise in aggregate consumption driven largely by the better-off.

Doug