[lbo-talk] US consumption (was barbaric?)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Mar 8 09:48:07 PST 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Carl Remick wrote:

> I picture London these days as being much like Las Vegas

I was in London in November 2003 and thought it was great - and much better than my previous visits in 1981 and 1989. Man, has the food improved. Of course, I was staying in the then-uberhip neighborhood of Shoreditch (is it still?), so maybe I was getting an unrepresentative view. And maybe hanging out for an evening with James H biased me.

Sure was expensive, though - even to someone who lives in Manhattan.

Doug

[WS:] I concur with Doug on that. London is an "organically grown" city, not some artificial gaming oasis created by fiat in the middle of nowhere. And it is very cosmopolitan too. Good transit, decent food (mainly Indian and Italian, which is fine by me) far better than the 'British cooking" that still lingers like a bad aftertaste in the rest of the country.

I always thought that when they start rounding up trouble makers here, London is the place to go :).

Wojtek