[lbo-talk] abortion poll

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 9 15:20:40 PST 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:
> John wrote:
>

>> Wouldn't a radically pro-abortion supporter give no thought to why a
>> woman wished to have an abortion?
>>

> I would think a radically pro-abortion supporter would give a lot of
> thought to this. It's those who are anti-abortion who don't think
> about the reasons a woman would want to have an abortion. As far as
> they're concerned there is no reason to have an abortion so there is
> no reason to think about it.

That depends on how you mean "no thought". I am not made comfortable or uncomfortable for whatever reason a woman chooses to have an abortion. It is none of my business. There are no valid and invalid reasons, only valid reasons. Since they are all valid I give them no thought in the sense that I pass no judgments on them. That does not mean I do not care about whatever suffering the decision making process may be for someone or that I do not care a persons well being. What difference should it make to me if a woman in Iowa wants an abortion because she just ended a relationship with a man and no longer wants their child or a woman in Oregon wants an abortion because of a failed birth control method. Why they want the abortion is unimportant in deciding the "validity" of their desire to have one.

>> What makes you uncomfortable about "for the hell of it"?
>> Are there good and bad reasons to choose abortion?
>>

> I think the point is there are good and bad ways of expressing a
> pro-abortion position. Abortion "for the hell of it" is not going to
> win friends and influence people.
If Doug meant that using the phrase "for the hell of it" as a pro-choice slogan makes him uncomfortable I have no issue with that. Tactically that slogan would be a huge error. If Doug had meant he was personally made uncomfortable by the idea of abortion for the hell of it that is another thing entirely. I see that Doug has clarified his position to mean he opposes the phrase as a slogan of some sort. I don't however know if the idea makes him uncomfortable or not. I can think of no good reason it should.

John Thornton -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20070309/a6fab6a9/attachment.htm>